Shopping

I love to shop.  I am up to shop for anything, except clothes and shoes.  I really dislike the whole "I'll try it on.  Let' hope it fits!"  However, shopping for groceries, furniture, even pencils, I'm game.  In fact, I just returned from a quick trip to the 105 Yen store to buy scotch tape and ink pens.  I loved it.  I like the research part of it all, the part where to read packages and consider options before deciding on a purchase.  Yes, I did this with my tape and my pens.  And yes, I was alone.  If Jason or the kids were with me I would have grabbed the first of whatever I saw and got out of there.  Something about comparing and considering is so therapeutic for me.

Shopping in Japan is even better than shopping in America.  Of course, being able to read the packages would help in the comparison part of my shopping...but I don't care.  I love it anyway.  So, do this:  picture the last time that you went into a $1 store.  What was your experience?  If it was anything like any one of my US $1 store trips it looked like this:

The store is a mess.  There is no pride here.  There are empty displays, stains on the floor, and the lighting makes me feel like I am in a zombie movie.  After quickly grabbing what I need - some low quality cheapy thing - I approach the register to pay.  The person behind the register greets me with a look that says, "I hate my life.  I hate my job even more.  And, I hate you for making me do my job."  I pay, leave, and vow not to return.  Only, I do go back because I need party streamers and they are only a $1 there...

I am sure that not every experience is like that.  I'm sure that many $1 across the US have attractive, kind people working at them; people that are thankful for a job and happy to aid you with your precious cargo. Unfortunately, my experiences have most often been the worse of the two.

Now, I am in Japan.  Every store that I walk into - the $1 store, the grocery store, a clothing store, a restaurant, I am greeted right away and no deathly eye daggers come flying at me.  When I need help with something or approach the register to pay, the clerks run to my service.  They literally run, all of them.  This is not a full on arms pumping sprint, but rather a quick shuffle.  (Imagine trying to get across the room in very large slippers).  As my items are rung up the cashier says the price of each item (in the case of the $1 store, they count the items and say the running total).  Each item is placed neatly in my basket so that I can carry it away to pack it into a bag myself.  I am always thanked while being bowed to, and handed my receipt with two hands, as if it were fragile.  This treatment is not special, I get it from the local convenience store when I stop for a bottle of water.

I asked a student of mine about social classes and such.  Of course they exist, there are some crazy elitists here just like anywhere else.  (For example, people used to be able to tell your families' worth based on the color of your skin.  Very dark skinned Japanese people were most often laborers and worked outside, where as civil servants, doctors, or families with money had lighter skin from being indoors.  As a result, darker skinned Japanese people were discriminated against, for being lower on the social ladder.  This has carried over into today, as you can buy "lightening" lotion at any store you go to).  He said that in his experience, everyone is just happy to have a job and to be able to serve.  It didn't really matter what the job was, but that you worked hard and took pride in your work.  Like it!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surgery

Parenting is not for the Timid - This is my Biggest and Worst

Back to Seattle