Today a friend (A) invited the kids and I to lunch in her father's home. Jason mentioned to me that he read that "being invited into a Japanese person's home is a big deal." No pressure, just make sure to do everything right!

I never did get the name of my host, but he was very welcoming and wonderful. Upon arrival we were ushered into what my friend called "a traditional Japanese home". What that ended up meaning was cold. The house was cold, as are many homes here. There is little to no insulation in the homes and heaters are small space heaters. Like our apartment and the other homes I have seen, spaces were small and there were many rooms, doors, and walls dividing spaces. Homes
here are very different than the open floor plan that is embraced in America. Every room has a door of some kind that allows it to be closed off, preventing heat (winter) or cool air (summer) from escaping.

Dad (for lack of a name) prepared lunch for all 10 of us (7 kids, 3 adults). It was a simple lunch, noodles, broth, sausage, soft boiled eggs, and of course, tea. With lunch we were all given a small bowl of rice with beans and sesame seeds. I didn't know at the time, but this particular rice dish, called "Osekihan" or "honorable rice" is reseved for special occasions such as anniversaries and celebrations. I wouldn't have known it was special at all except that A mentioned it. It was made for us, the special guests. A small gesture from a modest man, it feels very big.


Following lunch he took all the kids to the park for a game of soccer, while A and I went school supply shopping.

Some notes about lunch:
*Prior to eating it is polite and common to say, "Itadakimasu" which translates to "I am receiving something". The actual meaning is closer to the idea of Grace, or a saying of thanks for the food that has been received. It is said quickly with a bowed head and hands together in front of your body. This is not a huge, heavy moment like many before meal prayers. It is a simple acknowledgement of thanks and recognition.
*It is polite to pick up your soup or rice bowl and bring it closer to your face for easier eating. It is also polite to slurp loudly when eating noodles and soup. Would you like to drink the broth after the noodles are gone? Go for it, totally acceptable.
*Food, and all things actually including gifts, papers, and receipts, are to be given to the recipient with two hands. Today A handed me a bowl with just one hand, then quickly apologized for her rudeness. She explained that using just one hand is rude.

I learned a lot today. I am thankful for the gift this friendship.

Comments

  1. I loved seeing the kids with friends. So glad that you share your adventure with us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Surgery

Parenting is not for the Timid - This is my Biggest and Worst

Back to Seattle