Different

Tonight the kids and I were walking home from work (mine, not theirs) just as a piano class was letting out. A cute little Japanese kid - probably about 10 - saw the kids and I and turned and ran back inside shouting. A moment later he reappeared with a friend, to show us off. It was pretty comical! It’s those moments that I laugh on one hand feel so grateful on the other. I feel so thankful that Lil and Jax are growing up rounded, being exposed to so many different versions and variations of life.


Speaking of variations...here are a few of the differences we are experiencing here:


  • Uniforms - I’ve posted pics of the kids in the uniforms, but that was just the beginning. Since then we have had to buy their school hats (2 for each, one bright yellow for to and from school, another, red, for outside at school), school umbrellas (bright yellow), school shoes (2 pair, one for inside and one for out) and PE uniforms. In the grand scheme of things it is easier, as in, no arguing over what to wear, and will most likely be cheaper too. It just feels like a lot all at once!


  • School - So many little things about school here are different, and so many are the same. The ones that have really stood out to me as different are:
    • the kids are not allowed to bring their lunches - everyone gets hot lunch. It is a very healthy lunch made up of soups, rice dishes, veggies, and milk. There is occasionally bread or yogurt which the kids love!
    • the kids all brush their teeth at school, everyday. Love it!
    • the kids change for PE in the classroom. Down to their roos. Lily is not a fan. I’m not sure at what age this changes...but a quick side story - at one of the preschools that I teach at all the little kids take potty breaks at the same time. They line up in the hall, waiting their turn. It is not uncommon to see several of them in their undies as they stand there waiting. But, there is a little girl there, the cutest little girl, that strips down bare below the waist. Every time. I cannot tell you how many times I’ve seen that little butt! Makes me laugh.
    • the teachers here can hit the kids. I don’t think there is any blatant beating going on, but if a child misbehaves they will get a slap to the back of the head.


  • Appliances - back in Yakima I think I had one of everything - except the mini doughnut maker that Nicole had - she was alone on that one. Here, less is more. Two reasons - 1 being space, the other being cost of electricity. Average living spaces here are just too small to house the 27 different appliances that are standard just in the kitchen in American homes. I do miss having some of those things - like a food processor and an espresso machine, but, I can live right? I have a knife for chopping and there is always black coffee. However, there are two appliances that I miss terribly. The first is a dryer. People here line dry their clothes. There are dryers, and washer-dryer-in-ones, and they actually fit okay too. But the cost of running a dryer just isn’t worth it (or so I am told). The second thing I miss is my vacuum! There are vacuums here, but they are very pricey. Do you know how people clean their carpets here? With tape rollers! You know, the things we use to get pet hair off a jacket? That is the standard of carpet care here. This is just awful for me, as I love, love, love to vacuum. I will succumb to, and enjoy, many changes here, but I just cannot wrap my head around this one. I’m getting a vacuum.

Comments

  1. You get your vacuum! I will be getting one when I return as well. lol. It is a necessity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's too bad you didn't "borrow" the dyson Linds and I bought while you were getting your stuff from Kanonji. It "should" be at our old apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who has the best husband? I do! He brought me home a vacuum. Some girls want diamonds...all it takes for me is a small appliance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love reading all the differences, I'm heading back to Japan for my second business trip soon. I'm glad you got a vacuum, I'd miss that too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Back to Seattle

Surgery

Parenting is not for the Timid - This is my Biggest and Worst