Dengue Fever


The end of the story first:  Lillian is fine, mostly.

While traveling in Singapore and Malaysia for our holiday break Lily became quite sick.  We'd spent 5 days in Singapore and then traveled to a little island off the coast called Tioman Island.  Or first full day there was rainy and overcast, leading me to overlook the need for sunscreen.  Both kids got completely sunburned.  Painfully, blisteringly sunburned.  The next day Lil was feeling bad, running a fever and really tired.  I assumed it was sun related, a side effect of my oversight.  We bought the resort's last bottle of children's pain/fever medicine (liquid, for ages 1-6) and began dosing her every 6 hours.  The fever would break but them come right back.  All she wanted to do was sleep, so, we let her.  The island was pretty sleepy itself, being monsoon season and all.  There wasn't a lot going on and we couldn't really go out and explore much anyway - the island is all thick forest and the only paved road is a short strip that runs from the ferry terminal to the resort we were staying at.  (An interesting fact, the road was started by the military in WWII and later finished by the resort so that guests could get there more easily).  To see the island you usually get a boat and go from pier to pier.  There is supposed to be some beautiful scenery there, but because of the rough waters of monsoon season, December is not really the time to see it.

Anyway, we were scheduled to be there on Tioman for 5 days.  Lil was able to enjoy the first one and slept through the last four.  At this point Jason and I are worried because she is as hot as either of us has ever felt a person be and she isn't eating and isn't drinking.  We flew to Kuala Lumpur, checked into our hotel, and drug Lily around for a day figuring she needed to get out, get some fresh air.  Everywhere we stopped she'd plop herself down on the ground and would often fall asleep.  She kept complaining of pain in her muscles and would wince in pain walking down stairs.  We bought some more fever meds and were giving them to her in the corridor of a mall.  A man told us there was a clinic there, just upstairs.  (Kind of cool to have a clinic in the mall, along with a pharmacy).  The next morning we took her in.  Her fever that morning was 39.6, or just above 103.  The doc drew some blood and said he suspected Dengue Fever.  The doctor was a very nice man with pretty good English. He wasn't so great at drawing Lil's blood, which he apologized a million times for.  The visit, blood work, and 3 medicines cost $50 (US dollars, no insurance).

While we waited to for the results Lily slept and we read about Dengue.  It's a virus transmitted through mosquito bites.  You find it mostly in subtropical climates and there are many, many cases every year. There is no prevention (other than mosquito control and not being bitten) and no real cure, just treatment.  Treatment is basically fever control, forcing fluids, and rest.   Symptoms are sudden high fever, fatigue, body aches, a rash, etc, etc, etc.

Several hours later the test came back, positive for Dengue.  He sent us to the ER of a local hospital.  We waited for a hour to see the doctor who was on his lunch break.  Lil was miserable, achey and hot.  But, the doctor (an ancient Indian man) was so great, really over the top kind to us.  He let her sleep on a gurney while waiting for test results.  After running his own blood work he wanted to admit her over night.  It would have been quite expensive and he admitted he wanted to do it more to be on the safe side than anything so he let us go home, as long as we promised to come back in the morning and drink, drink, drink.  Total bill, $55 US.

That brings us to today.  We went to the hospital this morning as promised.  It's Saturday here so everyone in Malaysia seemed to be there too.  After waiting over an hour the same kind doctor from the ER came to find us waiting outside the pediatrician's office.  He moved us along, got the paperwork so Lil could get another blood test, and probably shaved a couple hours off our wait time.  Love that man!  Results in hand, we went in to see the pediatrician and she was also wonderful. She walked us through Lil's results, number by number, and explained all the changes that had occurred overnight.  Basically, her body has been working super hard to fight this virus but she is on the mend.  The biggest indicator of healing is that her fever is gone and the classic Dengue rash showed up.  Now Lil is covered in a red, itchy rash.  It goes nicely with her peeling sunburn.  She isn't completely out of the woods yet, we still have to force fluids as her blood is a little too thick right now, and have to watch for signs of internal bleeding.  That sometimes occurs at this point in the recovery.  So, that is where we are.  Lil is of mostly sound body.  Her mind? Well, she's a bit of a hypochondriac and somewhat dramatic so we are fielding a lot of "what if" questions and some "I'm still worried" statements. I get it.  we were really worried ourselves. Today's bill, $50 US.

I have to say, this was scary.  This is the first time we've faced something serious-ish since leaving the US.  I really didn't like being on unfamiliar soil and being without insurance.  I also didn't like not having family around to lean on.  It wasn't major, but, scary enough to make me really appreciate the value of support.  But, the care we received was excellent.  Also, it felt really great to be able to communicate with the doctors.

Jason, Lily, Jaxon and I are thankful to everyone that sent positive thoughts Lil's way.  We have one day left of vacation and she's fever free!  Still, low energy, but, fever free!  We hope to make the most of tomorrow.  Something we should all do more of.

Comments

  1. Give her a big hug for me. Remember that she will feel TIRED for a long time; like my recovery from mono a few years ago. You get back to feeling OK but are really fragile for a long time.

    We miss your family too. Thank heavens you can Skype with Leslie.

    Love, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was diagnosed of Herpes 2 years ago and I have tried all possible means to get the cure but all to no avail, until I saw a post in a health forum about a Herbal Doctor(Dr Akhigbe) who prepares herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases including Herpes, at first i doubted, if it was real but decided to give him a trial, when I contacted Dr Akhigbe through his Email: drrealakhigbe@gmail.com he guided me and prepared a herbal medicine and sent it to me via courier Delivery service,when I received the package (herbal medicine) He gave me instructions on how to consume it,I started using it as instructed and I stopped getting outbreaks and the sores started vanishing, could you believe I was cured of this deadly virus within two to three weeks and notices changes in my body. Days of using this REMEDY,couldn't believe the healing at first until I see it as my HERPES get cleared like magic Dr Akhigbe also use his herbal medicine to cure diseases like, HIV, HERPES, CANCER, ALS, CHRONIC DISEASE, HEART DISEASE, LUPUS, ASTHMA, DIABETES HEPATITIS A AND B. etc Contact this great herbal Doctor today the father of herbal root cure. via Email: drrealakhigbe@gmail.com or whatsapp him +2348142454860 and get cured permanently He is real..

    website: https:drrealakhigbe.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. For years, I have read and seen the advertisements in the mass media about all of the penis enhancement pills and thought that they were all scams or gimmicks. All of the medical sites that I have visited stated that none of the herbal supplements would ever help increase the size of a penis. I got very depressed when I read this, because unfortunately I was not naturally blessed with a penis that was big enough to arouse my sexual partner or past partners. I am a man that is past my sexual primetime and my sexual performance has a lot to be desired. I decided to try Doctoc Akhigbe herbal medicine after all the reading and researching that I have done.I saw a testimony " Joe" about doctror Akhigbe Herbal Medicine Since there is a Money Back Guarantee, I give him a trial what did I have to lose? I couldn't believe the results I was seeing after drinking the Natural  Herbal Medicine  and Herbal Soap to be rubign my penis! he sent to me through DHL courier delivery service . Within about 2 weeks I had a noticeable increase in the girth of my penis. Then after a coupleof aditional week it started to grow in length and I was amazed and very excited.before I finish the drink and the soap my penis had grown an additional two inches. I've had a considerable improvement with my sex life and these pills are certainly worth every penny I spent on them! I want to thank Dr Akhigbe for the time and effort they have spent on helping people in my situation.I know many are out there who are suffering this problem and they need help, email him.    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com.    He also cure other diseases like: . HIV/ AIDS. JOINT PAIN, BREAST ENLARGEMENT. DIABETIES.  HERPES. AUTISM . NO PRIOD.  CHRONIC DISEASES. LUPUS . MALE AND FEMALE FERTILITY. WAST & BACK PAIN. CANCER . DISCHARGE FROM BREAST PAIN, BREAST INFECTION. PARKINSON DISEASES.  WOMEN SEXUAL PROBLEM.  VAGINAL INFECTION. IRREGULAR MENSTRATION , PAIN & ITCHING . LOWER ABDOMINAL PAIN PAIN DURING SEX INSIDE THE PELVIC . PREMATURE EJACULATION.  PAIN DURING URINATION. PELVIC INFLAMATORY DISEASES , VAGINAL DISCHARGE. (PID). DRIPPING OF SPERM FROM THE VAGINAL AS WELL AS FOR LOW SPERM COUNT. DENGUE, TUBERCULOSIS. CIRRHOSIS .    ITCHING OF THE PRIVATE PART. ZERO SPERM COUNT.  ASTHMA.  . ,  EJACULATION. WEAK ERECTION. ERYSIPELAS, DISCHARGE FROM PENIS . HPV. QUICK EJACULATION. HEPATITIS A & B. STD. STAPHYLOCOCCUS + GONORRHEA + SYPHILIS. HEART DISEASE.  PILE-HEMORRHOID. HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE. RHIUMATISM, THYROID, PENIS ENLARGEMENT  .   For your cure email him now:   drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    or Contact his numbe:  +2349010754824.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For years, I have read and seen the advertisements in the mass media about all of the penis enhancement pills and thought that they were all scams or gimmicks. All of the medical sites that I have visited stated that none of the herbal supplements would ever help increase the size of a penis. I got very depressed when I read this, because unfortunately I was not naturally blessed with a penis that was big enough to arouse my sexual partner or past partners. I am a man that is past my sexual primetime and my sexual performance has a lot to be desired. I decided to try Doctoc Akhigbe herbal medicine after all the reading and researching that I have done.I saw a testimony " Joe" about doctror Akhigbe Herbal Medicine Since there is a Money Back Guarantee, I give him a trial what did I have to lose? I couldn't believe the results I was seeing after drinking the Natural  Herbal Medicine  and Herbal Soap to be rubign my penis! he sent to me through DHL courier delivery service . Within about 2 weeks I had a noticeable increase in the girth of my penis. Then after a coupleof aditional week it started to grow in length and I was amazed and very excited.before I finish the drink and the soap my penis had grown an additional two inches. I've had a considerable improvement with my sex life and these pills are certainly worth every penny I spent on them! I want to thank Dr Akhigbe for the time and effort they have spent on helping people in my situation.I know many are out there who are suffering this problem and they need help, email him.    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com.    He also cure other diseases like: . HIV/ AIDS. JOINT PAIN, BREAST ENLARGEMENT. DIABETIES.  HERPES. AUTISM . NO PRIOD.  CHRONIC DISEASES. LUPUS . MALE AND FEMALE FERTILITY. WAST & BACK PAIN. CANCER . DISCHARGE FROM BREAST PAIN, BREAST INFECTION. PARKINSON DISEASES.  WOMEN SEXUAL PROBLEM.  VAGINAL INFECTION. IRREGULAR MENSTRATION , PAIN & ITCHING . LOWER ABDOMINAL PAIN PAIN DURING SEX INSIDE THE PELVIC . PREMATURE EJACULATION.  PAIN DURING URINATION. PELVIC INFLAMATORY DISEASES , VAGINAL DISCHARGE. (PID). DRIPPING OF SPERM FROM THE VAGINAL AS WELL AS FOR LOW SPERM COUNT. DENGUE, TUBERCULOSIS. CIRRHOSIS .    ITCHING OF THE PRIVATE PART. ZERO SPERM COUNT.  ASTHMA.  . ,  EJACULATION. WEAK ERECTION. ERYSIPELAS, DISCHARGE FROM PENIS . HPV. QUICK EJACULATION. HEPATITIS A & B. STD. STAPHYLOCOCCUS + GONORRHEA + SYPHILIS. HEART DISEASE.  PILE-HEMORRHOID. HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE. RHIUMATISM, THYROID, PENIS ENLARGEMENT  .   For your cure email him now:   drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    or Contact his numbe:  +2349010754824.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Surgery

$$Tokyo$$

Back to Seattle