Humid

Today is the most humid day we've had here in Japan so far.  Rainy season has begun - it is usually early June but we've been told it is a little late this year.  Rainy season means heavy drops of rain pelting you - soaking you as you dash from one door the the next.  It means that laundry that has been hung out to dry will not dry, it will be forever damp if left on its own.  It means humidity.  I think that my entire ace may have melted off today - I know that my makeup did.  Being constantly damp, as if having dressed after a shower without drying, is one thing.  That is something I am slowly getting used to.  having to carry a cloth around with me to wipe my face at all times, that is entirely different.

To combat the heat and humidity we've already begun using the air conditioner.  It only works in our bedroom, but at least it affords us a decent night sleep.  There are products available here to help also.  In almost every store you can buy "cool-gel" pillows, or chillows.  There is special bedding for summertime - the material is almost like terry cloth.  Also available are these towels that you wet down and wear around your neck - they actually remind me of the Shammy.  Stores sell dry clothing, or clothes that dry quickly, help keep you dry, etc.  Some shirts even have extra padding under the arms to prevent unsightly wet spots.  Out shopping with the kids today I was surprised at how many people were purchasing this special dry clothing.  There are even unique suits for summer wear  - cool biz.  They are lighter and drier, etc.

What gets me is that despite the heat, the humidity, the sticky wetness of our existence, Japanese woman cover themselves from head to toe.  If there is even a hint of sun, and even when there is not, they wear hats, gloves, long sleeves, long pants, and socks.  When asked why they reply that they do not want to get sun spots on their skin.  I get that, but hot much?


Here is my cool towel.  Haven't tried it yet...but tempted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surgery

Back to Seattle

$$Tokyo$$