Waste

So much of our decision to come to Japan had to do with learning to live another way, differently than the routines that we had fallen into. Some would ask why we had to come to Japan to do this, why couldn't we just make changes to our lives while living in Yakima? Well, I guess the simple answer is that this felt easier. It sounds strange to me, even as I write it. How is uprooting the entire family and giving up 99% of our possessions to move halfway around the world easier than making changes at home? The truth is, making changes at home, like spending less, saving more and slowing down is all well and good until you tire of it and give up. We've tried. It always started out well but little indulgences would creep back in. "Of course we don't need Starbucks right now, but it's right there and there is no line at the drive through...it just sounds good." One trip through Starbucks would lead to another, then we get too tired to cook dinner, next thing you know the kids are getting toys and games at every stop, not because they deserve them, but because saying yes is easier than saying no.

As I sat at our tiny little 4 person table tonight preparing dinner (a change from our massive dining table of the past) the notion of our wastefulness really struck me. I thought back to all the purchased and never eaten food, thrown out on garbage day. Here we sit, living on the little cash that we brought with us, waiting for a paycheck that is a month away. We are shopping for groceries in a way I never have before. I've always comparison shopped and looked for good values, but at the same time, if I wanted a tomato, I bought one, regardless of the price. My rational was that the price didn't matter; I wanted it and it was a healthy choice. Now, we shop and we buy what is affordable. If tomatoes happen to be available at a good price, we get them. Otherwise, we go without. And with that, we eat the whole thing. The days of cutting off giant slices at each end are gone. Don't get me wrong, we are not living on measured grains of rice and tap water, but we are definitely being more thoughtful as to where our money is going.

Japan is facing astronomical electricity prices right now due to the recent tragedies that struck this nation. In all our previous settings we were able to live comfortably without much thought. Now, we have to conserve energy, making sure to turn off lights when we are not using them, only heating the hot water when we need it, and limiting the use of the barely functional air conditioner despite the crazy heat and humidity. Even that sounds shallow to me right now, air conditioning. But, that is one of those indulgences that we are choosing to use, albeit sparingly. We have a wall unit in one room of the apartment that we use only at night. The kids, Jason, and I all sleep in the same room to take advantage of the air conditioning. For this luxury, we are blessed.

I am not looking back at our previous version of life and judging, and I am not regretting. We all get where we are by the paths we travel. (So deep, I know.) I wouldn't be sitting in a tiny, (somewhat) undesirable apartment in Japan right now, blogging while the kids laugh at funny videos on the internet (another indulgence) had I not been who I was or where I was. I look forward to seeing the outcome of all this restrictive - or rather thoughtful - living. Who knows, it may be all for naught. Let's hope that isn't the case.

Comments

  1. I love your writing. You are able to put into words what you are thinking and that is a great gift.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Surgery

Back to Seattle

$$Tokyo$$