The Beach

I had a pretty rotten day the other day - just one thing, then another. Despite sleep and the start of a new day, I was still pretty cantankerous. After work a (brave) friend took me and the kids to the beach. It was amazing, truly. Something about being the only people on the beach, floating in the warm water while the kids played and caught crabs, and being showered with warm rain just melted all the junk away. I left that little soak in a way better place. Reflection tells me that it was the amazing water, the privacy, the feeling like we were in our own little spot. However, it was also the company. This friend of mine is not new to me. As a matter of fact, we have known each other since 7th grade. We have never been close, having come from two worlds that didn't intersect much. But, here we are. We both laughed at the idea that out of everyone we each knew, the two of us were floating in a sea together in Japan.

These pictures were taken on a different day, but at the same awesome beach.



Here is what came out of that little soak. I am lucky. I've met about a dozen people here in Japan from the United States. The question, why? is always asked. Why are you here? Why did you leave home? The funny thing is, the answers are usually one of two. Often the person left the US after college because they didn't know what else to do. Sometimes they get deep and say they are here to "find themselves" but further prodding has lead to this (Japan) being a better option that what they went to college for and they just weren't ready to settle down yet. The second common answer is along the lines of starting over. These people are leaving the US to get away from something, be it failure at a career or bad family life, just something. But Jason and I don't fit either of those answers. We came here because we really wanted to. We left behind careers, a cute little house, a cushy lifestyle, and the best set of friends we've had. Now, in typing this the thought does occur to me that maybe we're the losers here, leaving all that behind. We had it good, great actually. But, here's the thing, we, being who we are, couldn't have come here if things weren't so great for us. Us being able to come here is because of how strong our support was and is at home, and because of the great little unit we make together. I realized today that it is a pretty big leap of faith to move across the ocean with someone, away from all you know. I either really love the guy and believe in us, or I am crazy. I'll take either one really, they both sound fun!

Comments

  1. Love it. I hope to have a loving family like yours someday. You are so blessed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Surgery

Back to Seattle

$$Tokyo$$