Rainbows on my Soapbox

My bio-dad was a real peach. Fortunately, none of my faithful blog followers have had the opportunity to meet him. To call him bigoted or racist just doesn't even begin to scratch the surface. Some of my earliest memories of him are the sound of his voice using derogatory terms for anyone that wasn't white and straight. I always knew he was wrong. I think my first defiant move was to decide to have "rainbow babies". I wanted a white baby, a black one, a brown one, a yellow one, pink, red, blue, it didn't matter. I just knew that the world was a beautiful place, and the colors of all the people made it so much richer and brighter. I'm not talking just about skin color, but color in general, color in the terms of people living their lives out loud, loving who they want to love and being who they want to be.

Fast forward 20 some years and I still feel exactly the same way. Yes, I recognize that I have me some pasty white babies, but I promise you this, they will not be one ounce of the bland "purity" that my father would wish for them. I hope they go out into the world and paint it to be their own. Love and support, all the way.

Jason and I never had to discuss how we would raise the kids in regards to racism, bigotry, or hate. I want them to know it exists, that it is an option for the less enlightened or open minded. I want them to know that it is a battle that unfortunately still thrives and needs to be fought. But, it is not an idea that Jason or I will be planting in their heads. It is an unspoken pact, we will raise them to love all, accept all. When the time is right, we'll arm them with information about their history, and their duties, and their choices. For now, we get to enjoy the unspoiled love and acceptance they feel for everyone. I will not take that for granted. They don't have a single notion in their heads that what they are makes them any better than anyone else, just different. I love that.

All this is stemming from a funny little convo I had with Jax. He found this little video on YouTube (thank you Cole Donegan for introducing my kids to YouTube. Love ya man) of two stick figures talking. One guys says to the other guy, "You're gay." The other guy says,"Yes, I am." He smiles, opens his shirt, and a big, shiny rainbow pops out of his chest. Jax comes to me, "Mom, what is gay?" After an explanation he says to me, "Okay, but what does being gay have to do with rainbows?" :) Love that boy! He didn't blink or bat an eye at the concept of gay, it's just love. But rainbows? Now that needs to be questioned!

*As a side note, I know there is a symbolic reason behind the rainbow flag and in actually, it is all very cool. I love the meaning behind all the colors and the blending and bonding of community.

Comments

  1. This is a powerful and insightful posting. I was fortunate to have parents who were compassionate and empathetic.
    I am very impressed about the way you are raising your children (and husband :))
    I am looking forward to your future posts.
    -John

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Surgery

Back to Seattle

$$Tokyo$$